This course is dedicated to making you an expert in backchaining. You will leave this course with a desire to back chain everything you can, and have gotten very comfortable with splitting everything into behaviors to perfect.
Some sessions are dedicated to the topic of cues, where we will look deep at, why some cues are like shooting and arrow, and others are more like pushing a car, up hill.
- go through the pros and cons of backchaing
- Briefly touch base on forward chaining
- Go through the process of adding cues to already fluent behaviors
- Make the cue a green light for performing the behavior.
- Dissect the cues, if there are learning history that gives slower responses
- Figure what the glue is, that make chains so strong
- Dive into the double effect of each behavior (R+ for previous cue AND green light to the next)
- Exercise backchaining in everything we do
- Discuss the optional response to a mistake in a chain
- Go through the testing phase
- Discuss the difficult job that is, being the handler
- Practice without dogs too
This course is most suited for teams that already have good solid fluency behavior and also at least 3 reliable cues, that has been done with positive reinforcement.