Prerequisite: This course builds on the foundations from the “Shaping Canine Fitness” course. Participants with dogs MUST therefore have followed “Shaping Canine Fitness” at least as an auditor to be able to follow the Strengthening class.
The objective of this class is to learn how to build a realistic, balanced and well-adapted weekly strengthening program for your dog. We will see how the muscle works, how to change the exercises according to the dog’s progress, how to choose exercises that complement each other and how to recognize or design a strengthening exercise yourself.
This course is intended for dogs aged 9-10 months minimum without any musculoskeletal concerns. It is strongly recommended that your dog has been examined by an osteopath within 3 months of the course.
To take this course, you will need at least:
- a non-slip floor
- a platform* the size of your dog’s down
- a platform* the size of your dog’s sit
- 5 cavaletti
- a flat proprioception cushion (inflatable disc type)
- a stable support of height between the hock and the elbow of your dog (type IKEA step stool for example)
Have additional equipment such as Fitbone, Klimb, pods, peanuts, etc. is a plus but not mandatory. The exercises are designed to inspire you to use what you already have in your home such as dog beds, sofa cushions, bricks, boards, etc.
*you can make the platforms yourself by following this tutorial. Make a very simple platform without velcro.
- BEFORE YOU BEGIN – A few safety reminders
- Equipment needed for the course
- Theory: Canine Fitness Terminology
- Theory: Muscle Anatomy and Muscle Building
- Theory: Warm up and cool down
- Quiz: Warm-up
- Theory: Spotting Signs of Fatigue
- Progression: determine the number of repetitions, sets and frequency
- Data collection – Initial assessment
- Homework for week 1
- Theory: Maslow’s Pyramid of Canine Fitness
- Theory: Choice of equipment heights according to age
- Progress: Change the height of equipment
- Quizz: Change the height of equipment
- Food delivery pattern: Dish
- Theory: Movement plans
- Quizz: Movement plans
- Theory: Complementary Anatomy Vocabulary
- Practice: Muscle strengthening exercises (1/5)
- Homework for week 2
- Theory: Which muscles are working?
- Progress: Change the type of equipment
- Progress: What’s different about balance boards?
- Food delivery pattern: Table service
- Practice: Muscle strengthening exercises (2/5)
- Homework for week 3
- Theory: create a realistic program
- Theory: The phenomenon of compensation
- Progression: Combine two exercises
- Practice: Muscle strengthening exercises (3/5)
- Homework for week 4
- Theory: circuit training
- Progress: fast vs slow
- Food delivery pattern: introduction to the COAS
- Practice: Muscle strengthening exercises (4/5)
- Homework for week 5
- Theory: recognize and analyze a strengthening exercise
- Progression: other ways to increase load
- Theory: Plyometrics
- Practice: Muscle strengthening exercises (5/5)
- Homework for week 6
- Thank you!