I have owned a variety of dogs for many years, initially being an enthusiastic owner who enjoyed having fun with her dog, taking part in several canine activities. In 2007 I decided it was time to learn more and I went to university to study canine behaviour and training. This step was the start of my learning journey that continues today.
I opened Guiding Paws in 2010 teaching puppies, fun agility and arranging fun weekend workshops. Guiding Paws evolved and today specialises in puppy education and hosting seminars and events with visiting trainers.
I currently own 2 elderly working cocker spaniels both 14 years old. They have travelled with me extensively to attend training events and workshops but now spend most of their time asleep on the sofa. Together we have taken part in obedience, flyball, agility, search-and-rescue, scentwork, tracking and gundog work.
EDUCATION and ACCREDITATION:
- BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour & Training (University of Hull, UK)
- Karen Pryor Certified Training Partner (KPA-CTP)
- Animal Behaviour & Training Council (ABTC) Registered Practitioner (UK).
- Assessed member of the UK Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT)
- Level 2 TAGteacher
- Fear Free Certified Professional
- Fear Free Certified Trainer-
- Graduate of Dr. Susan Friedman's Living & Learning with Animals Course (LLA)
- Graduate of the Puppy Start Right course
- Graduate of Life Skills for Puppies course (University of Lincoln, UK)
- Graduate of Puppy Instructors Course with Chirag Patel
- Pet Dog Ambassador Instructor and Assessor
Karen owns and runs two businesses; the first is her dog grooming salon, Paw's Mucky Pups where she practices Fear Free techniques and specialises in helping dogs who find grooming stressful.
The second is Guiding Paws, her training company specialising in puppy education, one to one training and hosting workshops and seminars.
Spending time with her own dogs, having fun training and trying out new activities with them. Most holidays are spent attending training and behaviour seminars and workshops around Europe. Amongst her favourite speakers and trainers are Ken Ramiraz, Dr. Susan Friedman, Chirag Patel, Jane Ardern, Emily Larlham and Kathy Sdao.